Exhibit Designer

>> Thursday, September 25, 2008

What is an exhibit designer? Why would you do that instead of just practicing architecture? How much do you get paid? It seems that the world is curious as to why I would go into this. So in order to justify what seems to be for most insanity, I've decided to explain. After three months of sending my resume to everyone I knew, everywhere that was hiring, all my dream firms, and all the firms that sucked. I came to the conclusion ...hummm , what is going on, why is no one calling me back, not me, nor my friends. So I sat around and blamed the economy for a bit, and one morning I was searching (just for fun) the Kansas City Art institute website, went into their job posts. And there it was, a job post placed within the last hour. "Hiring exhibit designer" must have knowledge in, auto cad, sketchup, photoshop and art history. "Well..... I know all those the things, how hard could it be. I send my resume, and within 30 minutes received a phone call, within a week I was hired. Grateful to have a job, I was blind to the luck I had fallen into to. This job combined everything I ever liked about architecture and took out all the boring stuff out. My thesis in architecture was on flexible architecture, and what’s more flexible then a portable exhibition, ahhhhhhhhhhhh awesome. I love furniture design and interior design, who gets hired to do the interior of stores and build amazing custom pieces………. exhibit designers. Why didn't I know of these people, I didn't even know this was a career choice? Within one week I was already designing things and sending them to be built in a warehouse shop conveniently placed 5 steps away from me (its attached to the offices), I get to see firsthand how they carve, mold, table saw it up, router away everything. I'd never imagined when I was younger living in Panama or Miami that I would be living in the flat planes designing for exhibit shows and museums, but hey life takes us in many directions, and since I do not fear the unknown BRING IT ON.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Because everything you own needs a home.........